The Exhaustion of Being Palatable, A Rant of the Day Blog Article Written By Jenn D Real

The Exhaustion of Being Palatable, A Rant of the Day Blog Article Written By Jenn D Real 

There is a kind of loneliness that comes from being loved only in edited form.

Not hated.
Not abandoned outright.
Just slowly compressed into something easier for other people to digest.

For years, I believed survival depended on self-suppression. I edited my words while they were still forming. Softened my thoughts before they reached the air. Removed strange metaphors from my sentences. Lowered my enthusiasm before anyone could call it “too much.” Rehearsed reactions in advance. Smoothed over intensity before it unsettled someone else.

I learned how to translate myself into something safer.

From the outside, it looked functional.

That is the dangerous part.

Something a lot of people discover too late: constant self-suppression can look functional from the outside while quietly draining the core systems that make a person feel alive.

You can become incredibly skilled at performing normalcy while internally disappearing inch by inch.

And because the world often rewards performance before authenticity, it can take years to notice the cost.

People praise you for being agreeable. Easygoing. Mature. Adaptable. Pleasant. Professional. Calm.

Meanwhile, internally, your spirit feels like a singer forced to mouth lyrics behind soundproof glass.

You become fragmented.

Not because you are fake, but because too much of your energy is being redirected toward managing perception instead of fully inhabiting your own existence.

I did not realize how much of my mind was occupied by self-monitoring until I stopped doing it.

Until I stopped editing my speech in real time.

Until I stopped shrinking before anyone even asked me to.

Until I stopped treating my own personality like a problem to solve.

And what surprised me most was this:

The people who require you to dim yourself rarely fully accept you anyway.

There is almost always another invisible condition attached.

Be quieter.
Be softer.
Be less emotional.
Less intense.
Less eccentric.
Less expressive.
Less honest.
Less alive.

Sometimes these expectations arrive openly.
Sometimes they arrive disguised as advice.

Sometimes they hide inside backhanded compliments:

“You’re a lot, but in a good way.”

“You’d be intimidating if you were more confident.”

“You’re smarter than I expected.”

“You’re easier to handle when you’re calm.”

Sometimes it shows up as subtle competition, condescension, or discomfort the moment your natural self begins taking up too much space.

You feel the negotiation underneath the interaction: “I will accept you more comfortably if you become smaller.”

And because humans are social creatures, many of us learn to comply automatically.

Especially those of us who grew up learning that acceptance felt conditional.

So we trim ourselves carefully.

We dull our humor.
Mute our instincts.
Translate our language.
Apologize for enthusiasm.
Swallow observations.
Pretend not to notice things we clearly notice.

We become experts in self-erasure while calling it politeness.

The truth is you may avoid friction sometimes, but you also lose spontaneity, clarity, and eventually a sense of internal continuity. The mind starts living at a distance from itself.

But eventually, the exhaustion catches up.

At some point, I realized I was spending enormous amounts of energy trying to become digestible for people who were never truly interested in understanding me in the first place.

That realization changed my life.

Because once I stopped shaping myself around anticipated rejection, something extraordinary happened:

I became more alive.

Not perfect.
Not universally liked.
Alive.

My writing changed immediately. I could see it. Feel it. My words stopped sounding afraid of themselves. My metaphors became sharper. My voice became recognizable. My creativity expanded because my thoughts no longer had to pass through layers of internal censorship before reaching the page.

My laughter became louder.
My relationships became more genuine.
My work became more honest.
My mind became quieter.

And ironically enough, the people in my life now tend to appreciate me far more than the people I exhausted myself trying to please.

Because healthy connection is not built through constant self-erasure.

The right people are not searching for flawless social choreography. They are searching for presence. Honesty. Aliveness. Emotional texture. Curiosity. Authenticity.

You cannot truly connect with someone who only knows your edited draft.

That version may be acceptable.

But it will never feel fully seen.

There is grief in realizing how long you survived in fragments. There is grief in recognizing how often you abandoned your own instincts just to preserve harmony that was never truly stable to begin with.

But there is also freedom.

A profound, life-changing freedom.

The kind that arrives quietly at first.

In speaking before rehearsing.
In laughing without apology.
In allowing your natural cadence to exist.
In writing sentences exactly as they arrive.
In creating without flattening your instincts into something more marketable or manageable.

In realizing your mind was never wrong for being layered.

Sometimes freedom does not look like reinvention.

Sometimes it looks like finally existing in your original shape.

People often assume authenticity causes chaos, but living too far away from yourself creates its own kind of quiet structural collapse. The body notices. The nervous system notices. Creativity notices.

Meanwhile, when I stopped editing every sentence before it escaped my mouth, something else happened too: my internal systems could finally cooperate instead of fighting each other.

And once you experience that relief, truly experience it, it becomes almost impossible to willingly return to a life built on self-erasure.

Because surviving as a shadow of yourself may keep the peace temporarily.

But fully inhabiting your own mind?

That feels like breathing for the first time after years underwater.

Comments